Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I'll probably blog more, since I'm "quitting" drinking

I know I'm the most sporadic blogger in history (or at least, you know, in my social circle - because non-bloggers are not sporadic, and all my friends either don't blog or blog practically every damn day) but I do have an excuse. See, most of the time, I'm too busy actually doing things to write about them. Like, I would love to tell you some of my awful/awesome drinking stories, but I'm usually to busy creating another one to bother. That's all about to change (for awhile)!

The hubby and I have decided to "quit" drinking for a few months. There are a few reasons for this, and some of them are responsible ones, so let's get those out of the way first:

1) To lose some weight - seriously, on weekends beer probably represents half my caloric intake, and since the other half comes from the buffalo wild wings I eat with the beer, this can only help.

2) To save some money - Duh, we need to save money to go to New Orleans (Hoping for Mardi Gras!) and/or Las Vegas (again, because why not?) so we can drink some more. There's logic in there soomewhere, yes? I just feel like Bourbon St would be more fun than Boylston, Massachusetts to drink at.

And then there's the not-so-responsible reason: tolerance break! Apparently there's science behind the whole quit-for-a-few-months, become-a-cheap-date-again thing. Something about enzymes building up in the liver. Wikipedia says it works, and I'm trusting the guys who co-wrote every single college paper I've ever done.

So those are my reasons, and the result is more free time, and it's twofold: One, I won't be going out as often so I'll be home and probably on my computer, and two, I won't be sleeping off hangovers every Sunday so I'll probably get up before most restaurants stop serving breakfast. I mean, yeah, IHOP, Denny's and Cracker Barrel serve breakfast all day, but 1) There's no way any sober person ever is going to go to Denny's, and 2) I don't care what time it is, if it's my first meal of the day, it's breakfast time. Bring me some bacon and eggs and to hell with your dinner specials!

So anyway, this all sounds pretty solid, right? So why did I put "quit" in parentheses? BECAUSE, I'm still 20-something years old and where the hell else can 20-somethings meet up with friends after work besides  a bar? I'm not going to suddenly become antisocial just because I'm cutting back (although apparently that is what happens to some people). I'm just going to employ the tactic I should be using every time I go out: One glass of beer, followed by one glass of water. Keeps the calories down and keeps me hydrated, so win-win, right?

According to internet lore/annoying advice from know-it-alls, I should be doing this all the time to prevent hangovers, but at the same time, I feel like a hangover is your body's way of telling you you're a fucking tool, and who am I to shut my body down when it wants to take a stand about something? Also, no one wants to be that lame-ass at the bar ordering free fucking waters from a harried bartender who's probably already thinking of spitting in your drink because they're pissed off that they're working on a Saturday night while you and all your annoying friends are still trying to make "epic fail" a verb.

So I guess what I'm saying is I could (but won't, without significant bribing) be a DD for a while. And I'll probably blog more (which isn't saying much, really).

In the meantime, if you're having Stina-withdrawal (admit it, you are), there are always a couple of options for you:

1) buy me a beer
2) buy me a beer
3) Buy me a beer somewhere - if I'm not spending the money, it doesn't count, as far as I'm concerned.

1 comment: